The American Ideals PAC will host a nationwide discussion on anti-Asian violence, via webinar, on Thursday, February 9, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. PST.
The recent mass shootings in Monterey Park and Half Moon Bay, California, together resulted in the murder of 15 men and women of Asian descent and the death and injury of other individuals, at the beginning of the Lunar New Year, a major holiday for Asian communities.
These killing sprees do, however, provide a poignant reminder that far too much violence is committed against Asians across the country. Often, the horrific attacks are mischaracterized for political purposes, with many afraid even to identify the race of the perpetrators when the race is not white.
Even more often, the crimes receive scant attention. Numerous sickening, vicious attacks against Asian Americans and immigrants, many of whom elderly, have occurred in the past few years, including some just days before and after the recent Lunar New Year shootings. Because the heinous offenses do not fit the prevailing political narrative about systemic racism and white supremacy, the national media and political leadership have barely paid attention.
An honest, national conversation about anti-Asian violence is long overdue. Violence visited upon innocent Americans of any race, ethnicity, or color is unacceptable. The American Ideals PAC will highlight these issues during its February 9 webinar.
The following speakers will participate in the webinar discussion:
- Michelle Steel, U.S. Representative, 45th congressional district (will offer video message)
- Betty Chu, former mayor and city council member, Monterey Park, California
- Robert Woodson, founder and president, Woodson Center, 1776 Unites, and Voices of Black Mothers United
- Ward Connerly, founder and president, American Civil Rights Institute
- Linda Yang, director, Washington Asians for Equality
- Ying Ma, founder and president, American Ideals PAC, and author of Chinese Girl in the Ghetto
The event is open to the public and the media. To attend, please register in advance HERE.